Friday, October 12, 2012

All Things Baby

I feel like I just gave birth. Not to a child of my own - I had more of a midwife position with this one.

Together with stylist Chris Bryant, I have been working for the past two weeks doggedly to finish A LOT of shots of food for babies through 3 year olds for Becky Cannon's upcoming mega book "grow healthy. grow happy: The Guide to Natural Baby Care".  While composing and shooting the photos, I've learned a lot about the ways you can prepare healthy, appetizing food for babies that doesn't come from a jar, and that tastes good too...almost makes me wish I was going to have a baby to try these dishes out on (but not quite). We were able to set up a make shift studio in Becky's dining room that provided plenty of nice light for most of the shots, trying as always to make the food "real" vs. painting all kinds of icky "enhancers" on it. We shot long and hard days, culminating in the last day's schedule that had six 10-12 month old babies showing up 30 minutes apart for back to back portraits in the summer garden (created in the fall garden on an October day). The crew scattered picked flowers all around and I bet you can't tell it wasn't shot on a summer day.  It's been a while since I've photographed babies so it was fun to use all those tricks I'd accumulated over the years that I used to photograph children a lot. We were amazingly lucky to have such happy little cutie pies show up, so Becky will have a plethora of shots to choose from.

Below is a combination of food shots from the book, setup shots and the baby shots.

Here is our set that we used for most of the food shots - a dining room table propped up on two other tables to get the right height.

Chris making a "bedside table" set in the hallway consisting of sofa pillows stacked on top of my camera bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment