Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lightroom Makes It Easy

I have been working on a fun personal project this week - a book documenting my third wonderful year with my boyfriend, Steve. It started out with a simple idea - I would just make a card featuring photos from some our experiences from the past year, but then before I knew it I was designing a cover for a custom made box I recently discovered that you can order from WHCC. Once I had that "shipped" online, I started tinkering with the idea of creating a book. Nothing big, just a simple book. However, in the process of reviewing the hundreds, maybe thousands of photos I've taken, I realized that if I was going to put this much time just editing the photos, I needed a bigger story, and thus, a bigger book. So, two days later, after working at a frantic pace, I finished printing a sweet little collection of images from our past year together - with the goal of doing one every year in the future. Of course, the book was designed to fit inside the box I had ordered.

What made the entire project less overwhelming was the wonderful product made by Adobe called Lightroom. I had just upgraded to version 3, and what a worthy upgrade purchase that was. I was able to create collections that I could quickly drag selected photos to, and I could easily move them around to put them in the right order. The new print module made it very easy to lay out the pages, and I was able to print two pages on each sheet of paper which were centered so that it just required a few chops on the paper cutter to make the pages the same size and correctly lined up. Finally, I took my book to Will at Henco in downtown Asheville, and he quickly punched the holes to make a spiral binding. Voila! Done.

I've already created a new folder called "Year Four" so that I can just drag images there to eliminate the hours of editing next year. Maybe next time I'll spring for one of the WHCC beautiful bound books.

No comments:

Post a Comment