Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wisdom - Get It

I ran across a beautiful and inspiring book today - "Wisdom"  by photographer Andrew Zuckerman. When I was in New York last summer, I literally stumbled upon his exhibit in the World Financial Center as I was cutting through the building from the riverfront to the street. An hour and half later, I made it out of the exhibit. You can see the website here and I highly recommend that you check it out, and even consider purchasing the book. I bought 5 copies - one for myself and four to give as gifts - that's how great I think it is!

The photographer interviewed many prominent people of all different types of fame - actors, politicians, world leaders, writers, etc, and asked them to talk about their lives and what the source of their "wisdom" was. Maybe it goes without saying that the subjects were advanced in age, to actually have had the years and experiences to gain that wisdom. The prints were quite large and were sharp as a tack, in their face, headshots shot against a stark white background. What I really appreciated about them visually was that you could see every pore and wrinkle, which of course accentuated the aging faces, but they were given so much dignity. It's hard to describe the effect, so you will have to see for yourself. The video, which was being shown on a screen in the middle of the exhibit, shows many of the interviews, and a copy of it is included in the book. I told my daughter, Jess, "here is much of what you need to know in life", but being only 19, she didn't bite. Maybe one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment